Wednesday 29 June 2011

Review - Exo (U.S.G) - The Appointment



After the critically acclaimed Power of the Pound mixtape Exo from North West London's U.S.G camp is back with a new mixtape to warm thing up until the release of his forthcoming debut album The Waiting Room
As you will know from his Power of the Pound mixtape Exo crafts his verses intricately and can switch lanes with ease,whether he's dropping thugged out street anthems,Social commentary or reminiscing on days gone by Exo always manages to bring something extra to the track and his vivid descriptions and detailed rhymes are in abundance once again on The DJ Livewire & DJ Skratchee  hosted 'The Appointment'
Starting off with the smooth melodic Soulful
bounce of My Thoughts Exo shows exactly what's made his Popularity amongst UK Rap listeners as well as the Respect of his counterparts as he goes in lyrically from the drop with his usual passionate delivery spitting impressive lines like
("Ended up in Crown now were off the List,So I thank God and Pray for that Final Kiss,I love the roads,I know she loves me too,Throughout the Bullshit my Baby girl pulled me through,So She won't see the back of we,This is London North West Stone B!,Pray for forgiveness,this is real life Cuz this is big business!")
Tracks to check include The excellent and Street Certified Banger Devil In Disguise Which features Scorching Hot verses from Babz (Squeeze 4 P$) Young Marv and Exo over a sick Instrumental Here I go again featuring U.S.G's Lefty and Squingy Let's talk Sex,My Thoughts 2,The Roadman anthem Dark Whips and also the Flyboy anthem My City which features Young Mad B and his fellow U.S.G member Squingy.
Another of the Strongest tracks has got to be Flyer than I've ever been which features U.S.G's Lefty and Miski and has a laid back summer feel with its soulful backdrop as well as some Hard lyricism from Exo who spits about his day and shows loves to a Currently incarcerated K Koke
("First thing a quick visit to the Bing,I go and Check my Brudda cos right now he's On the wing,I tell him bout what happening and watch him feel the Wind,Couple snacks from the canteen and Watch him roll back in")
The main two main ingredients which separate this from a lot of the releases out are Exo's Honesty in his tracks as well as the Soulful feel of the mixtape as it is layed with some classic sounding samples which work well and come as a breath of fresh air in this day and age of every one using generic Lex Lugar sounding instrumentals.
Show N Prove Possibly the best track on the Appointment is a fine example of this as Exo drops bars like
("and they're trying to keep me here,I run towards my Angels but my Angels disappear,I look up in the mirror, I see demons in my rear,but my heartache don't stop,it don't beat no fear,so I'm first to grab my B****r and I ask my Brudda where?,Already L****d light it up and let it flare!!")
The Appointment is one for the mandem as well as anyone who likes real rhymes and Real instrumentals as I haven't heard anything this soulful for a while,There are a few misplaced Samples before a few tracks but other than that is an appointment you will enjoy.
9/10.
All were waiting on Now is the album The waiting Room which is coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment